So, you’ve concluded that it’s time to uninstall BetterDiscord. Discord is a chat application mainly used by gamers and users on the educational front. BetterDiscord is an extension for the application that enhances the chat feature. The problem is that since BetterDiscord is not offered by Discord directly, BetterDiscord is not in compliance with the terms and services of Discord. Although there is no sign of the company doing so yet, Discord has every right to ban users employing the BetterDiscord plugin at any time. Take a look at some methods you can use to uninstall BetterDiscord in Windows below.
Back in the day, there was a popular website called Myspace where you could customize your profile and create your own unique world. Another fun thing you could do was add your favorite song to your page for your visitors to hear.
Nowadays, BetterDiscord allows you to do the exact same thing via the Discord app. Its main job is to let you customize your app in many ways. For example, you can add on different themes, songs, use extra emojis, and more.
Though it’s a convenient app, Discord has declared that BetterDiscord didn’t have permission to modify its app. And just like that, BetterDiscord became illegal to use. Consequently, Discord now has the right to ban any user still using it (although they haven’t, yet).
Another thing about BetterDiscord is that many users complained it caused their computers to lag. There were also instances where the app just crashed.
Since Discord is famous for being one of the main chatting applications for gamers, it’s better to get rid of the lag and crashes for the sake of a more enhanced, seamless gaming experience.
BetterDiscord is considered to be directly connected to your download of Discord. That’s why some people are overwhelmed by the uninstallation process.
But there’s no need to be overwhelmed. We made a list of all the steps you need for a quick and easy uninstallation. So, here’s our guide on how to uninstall BetterDiscord in Windows.
Method 1: Uninstalling BetterDiscord Using the Installer
There are multiple methods you can use to uninstall your BetterDiscord plug-in. The first method is to use the BetterDiscord installer.
- First, check if you already have the installer on your laptop. If you haven’t deleted it after installing BetterDiscord, you’ll probably find it inside the “Downloads” folder. If you can’t find it, chances are you’ve deleted it in the past. You can go to the BetterDiscord website to re-download the app. Even though it’s an installer, it can also be used to uninstall the software.
- You can also find the installer on the BetterDiscord Github page. Just scroll down and look for a section called “Installation”.
- In this section, you’ll find three OS options; Windows, Mac, and Linux. Choose your OS to start automatically downloading the BetterDiscord installer.
- After you’re done, launch the software. You’ll find a small check box with “I accept the license agreement” at the bottom. Click on it, then press “Next.”
- Once you do that, a list will show up with “Uninstall BetterDiscord” as the last option. Choose that option and click “Next.”
- Another list should show up with three different Discord apps. Choose the first option, which should be “Discord” and ignore the other two options.
- Click on “Uninstall” and wait a few minutes until the uninstallation process is complete. If you have Discord running in the background, it’ll restart once the uninstallation process is complete.
You’ve now successfully uninstalled BetterDiscord from Discord.
Keep in mind that the first method might only delete the app, but not the plug-ins you’ve added to your Discord. If you’d like to delete all the plug-ins, follow these steps:
- First, click the Windows button on your keyboard and the “R” button.
- Type in “%appdata%” in the box. This will open your %appdata% and the roaming folders.
- If you can’t open it, search for “%appdata%” in the windows search bar. Then open it and look for the “Roaming” folder.
- Inside this folder, you’ll find another one titled “BetterDiscord.” Click on it and search for the “plug-ins” folder.
- Once you find it, delete all the files inside to remove all existing plug-ins in the Discord app completely.
- You can also delete the entire BetterDiscord folder from your PC if you’re not planning to download anything for it again.
Method 2: Remove BetterDiscord by Uninstalling the Discord App
If, for any reason, the previously method didn’t work, try this one. This uninstallation process works when you uninstall the Discord app then reinstall it.
Here are the steps in detail:
- First, click on the Windows icon on the bottom left of your screen.
- Next, search for “Control Panel” in the search bar at the top.
- Open the control panel, then look for the “Programs” option. The “Programs” option might be called “Programs and Features” on your laptop. Clicking on either will redirect you to the same window.
- In the “Programs” option, look for the “Uninstall a program” option.
- Clicking on it will open a list of all the applications on your PC in alphabetical order. Find the Discord application among the list.
- Right-click it. The option to uninstall will show up among other options.
- Click on “uninstall” and wait for the process to finish.
- After the uninstallation process is complete, press the Windows button on your keyboard and the letter “R.”
- Type “%appdata%” and press “Enter.”
- Find the BetterDiscord folder and right-click it.
- Press Delete. This will completely remove BetterDiscord from your PC.
- The last step is to redownload the Discord app from their official website. It’ll now work seamlessly without any added BetterDiscord extensions.
Method 3: Overwriting Your Discord App
- In this last method, you’ll need to keep your Discord app as is without uninstalling it.
- Go to Discord’s official website and download Discord again.
- This second download should overwrite the pre-existing Discord. In other words, all the previous extensions should now be deleted from the laptop because the second download has overwritten the first.
- To ensure that BetterDiscord has been entirely removed, delete its folder from the ‘%appdata%’ folder.
After following all these steps, open your Discord app to make sure BetterDiscord is uninstalled. To do this, open Discord and click on user settings. You should find multiple options that show up on the left side of the screen.
Look through these options to see if BetterDiscord is among them. If you can’t, then you did it! BetterDiscord is now officially off your Discord and laptop!