Razer Synapse is a popular configuration software for accessories from the same company that brought us powerful gaming notebooks like the Razer Blade 15 Advanced. Its main purpose is to let you save your settings automatically to the cloud. Additionally, you can assign macros, load keyboard and mouse presets on any device, and rebind your controls. Although it’s pretty useful, it can become corrupted causing issues. You’ll need to remove it to get Windows working normally again. But uninstalling it isn’t easy. Files can get left behind leaving traces of the software on your laptop. We’ll show you how to uninstall Razer Synapse from Windows and Mac systems, including all traces of the software.
If you don’t want to risk using the Registry to uninstall Razer Synapse, you can always use Apps & Features instead. This method may not always work, but it’s worth a shot before trying the Registry method.
Thses are the steps:
- Right-click on the Razer Synapse icon and click Exit All Apps.
- When all the Razer apps are closed, hit the Windows and X key at the same time to open the Winx menu.
- Choose Apps & Features from the list.
- Search for Razer Synapse by looking through the list manually or by using the search bar.
- You’ll find two buttons on the app: Modify and Uninstall. Click on Uninstall to launch the Razer uninstaller.
- On the right, you’ll see a list titled, Select the Software to Uninstall.
- Click Select All, then confirm.
- When the uninstaller is done, restart your laptop.
- Finally, open Apps & Features again to make sure Razer Synapse is gone.
If the previous method didn’t work, or Razer Synapse is still in Apps & Features. There’s a good chance some of the software’s files are still in the Registry. In this case, you have no other choice but to manually remove Razer Synapse using the Windows Registry.
To uninstall Razer Synapse from your Windows operating system completely, you’ll want to follow these steps precisely. When dealing with the Registry, take extra caution: accidentally deleting necessary files can cause disruptions to your system; returning your machine back to the way it was before the Registry deletion will be difficult.
Here are the necessary steps:
- Navigate to the Razer Synapse icon in your taskbar and right-click it, then click Close.
- Open the Start Menu and navigate to Settings.
- Open Apps and search for the Razer Synapse file.
- Once you find it, click Uninstall and confirm your choice.
- When it’s done installing, restart your laptop.
- When Windows reopens, relaunch the Start Menu.
- Type Regedit into the search bar to launch the Registry Editor App.
- Navigate to the word Computer on the left of the Registry’s sidebar and click it.
- Click Edit from the menu above which will be right next to file.
- When the Edit menu opens, click Find.
- When the search bar appears, type Razer.
- Find all Razer files and right-click them.
- Then delete them from the data column.
- Open File Explorer from your taskbar.
- Then open This PC and navigate to the search bar. Type Razer and click Enter.
- Your laptop will search for any Razer files which may take a few minutes.
- Select all the files that appear and drag them to your Recycling Bin.
Here’s how to remove the Razer Synapse app from your Mac or Mac OS. For this process, you’ll use the Finder and Terminal apps. You’ll need to write some commands; make sure not to delete any necessary files.
- Open the Finder app on your MacBook.
- Navigate to the menu bar at the top and click Go.
- When the drop-down menu appears, choose Utilities.
- Double-click the Terminal app to launch the window.
- Type this command and click Enter: launchctl remove com. Razer.rzupdater.
- Enter your administrator password to continue.
- Open the Finder app again.
- Navigate to the left sidebar and click Applications.
- Look for Razer Synapse, then drag its icon to the trash.
If you still have doubts about the uninstallation process, these answers to frequently asked questions may put your mind at ease.
To remove Razer Synapse from startup on a Windows system, press SHIFT, DEL, and CTRL at the same time. When the Task Manager opens, navigate to the Startup tab. Search for Razer Synapse. Once you find its icon, right-click it, then click Disable.
Sometimes Razer Synapse will be uninstalled, but its files and documents can still be found in the Registry. If the app is causing errors or disrupting the Windows OS, problems will continue until all traces of the software are removed.
To do that, you’ll need to open the Registry and remove all files as shown above. Then to confirm all traces of the software have been removed, you can search File Explorer for Razer. Then, delete every file that comes up in the search.
No, Razer Synapse is just an application for Razer accessories. It’s not a virus, so it’s unlikely to cause your operating system any real harm.
What drives users to think that laptop issues are the result of the software being a virus is that it sometimes proves to be a source of problems.
However, that’s likely because their version of Razer Synapse hasn’t been updated. Or there’s an error in the files. Once you uninstall the app, that should eliminate the errors.
Yes, to ensure a clean uninstallation it’s better to manually remove Razer Synapse from the Registry. Using this method does the best job to ensure no accompanying files get left behind. The automatic method using the Apps & Features won’t remove all files related to the application.
However, you have to be extra cautious when dealing with the Registry to avoid deleting critical files by mistake. If you’re not sure you can do it, it’s better to ask a professional for help.