Uninstalling WinRAR from your Windows operating system should be a straightforward process. But sometimes it’s not. Possible reasons why you’re seeking an uninstallation include: WinRAR crashes or hangs. It doesn’t work as expected. Or some websites regard it as a potential security bug. Sometimes the program clings onto your PC and won’t let go without taking drastic measures. But there are a few ways to get rid of the WinRAR application even if it’s tied in with other programs. Since WinRAR works like any typical Windows programs, removal is handled the same way (simply deleting it won’t remove it properly).
Uninstall Process for WinRAR (64-bit) from Windows 10
Developed by Eugene Roshal of win.rar GmbH, WinRAR is a trailware file archive utility for the Windows system. It’s programmed to create and view archives in RAR or ZIP file formats, and it can unpack numerous archive file formats.
To help you test the integrity of archives, WinRAR embeds CRC32 or BLAKE2 checksums for each file in each archive. An incomplete installation of any program can wreak havoc on your system.
Below are five tried and true methods with detailed instructions for a complete uninstall of WinRAR from your PC laptop for good.
Method 1: Uninstall WinRAR Through Control Panel
This is the most effective way for any computer user to uninstall WinRAR.
- For program removal and deletion of all RAR files, log into with administrator account.
- Backup any data you want saved so it’s not deleted with WinRAR.
- Click the Start menu and open Control Panel. (Alternatively, you can open Settings by clicking on the gear icon to access the Control Panel.)
- Once in the Control Panel, select View as at the top right corner and click Uninstall a Program under the Programs section.
- If using the Settings app, click on Apps to see all the programs installed on your PC.
- Locate WinRAR in the Control Panel or Settings app and click Uninstall.
- The WinRAR uninstall wizard will appear with two options: Repair and Remove. Select Remove and click Next to uninstall the program.
- A popup message will ask, “Do you want to completely remove WinRAR for Windows?” Click Yes.
- When the uninstallation is complete, click Finish. Then restart your laptop and see if there are any errors.
Method 2: Uninstall WinRAR Using the Built-In Uninstaller
This is the second best way to uninstall WinRAR and it’s very similar to the first for all computer users. Here the uninstallation starts the uninstallation process right from the installation folder.
- Go to the WinRAR folder.
- Click on the process named, Uninstall.
- Then just follows the removal instructions to finish uninstallation of all program files and restart your laptop.
Method 3: Using a Third-Party WinRAR Uninstallation Tool
The only problem with using the Control Panel or Settings app to uninstall any program is that they sometimes become unresponsive and freeze in the middle of the installation process.
To that end, there are a lot of third-party WinRAR uninstallers ready to step up to the challenge, like Advanced Uninstaller PRO. It’s effective in tackling just this issue.
It’s so thorough that it can also eliminate registry entries and app data for you.
- Download Advanced Uninstaller Pro from the official website.
- Locate and double click the file you just downloaded. Then follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall WinRAR. To do this you want to be careful not to install additional programs Advanced Uninstaller might prompt you to install by unchecking them all. Then select Custom Installation and uncheck everything except Advanced Uninstaller Pro.
- Open Advanced Uninstaller Pro and General Tools.
- Then click Uninstall Programs. You’ll see a list of applications installed on your laptop.
- Select WinRAR and click the Uninstall button or the remove button located on the left under the information about the program you selected, in this case WinRAR.
If you’ve attempted to undo WinRAR installations using another method, you’ll likely see an error message or a message telling you the program has already been deleted.
But the great thing about Advanced Uninstaller Pro is the scanner tool can scan your hard disk and registry for any leftovers of the program you want to uninstall. Once they’re located, click Select All to remove them.
- Finally, reboot your laptop and to see that WinRAR has been removed from your PC completely.
Method 4: Using PowerShell to Uninstall WinRAR
Windows PowerShell is a fantastic tool built into the Windows operating system that can be used to uninstall various apps and even delete preinstalled Windows apps. Functionally, it’s similar to Command Prompt.
PowerShell is a powerful command-based tool used to execute different commands. And you can use it to automate tasks using command-line shell and a scripting language built using .NET Framework and .NET Core.
While it used to be exclusive to Windows, today it’s now open-source and available to all operating systems.
- Type PowerShell in the search bar. Then right-click the first result and select Run as administrator.
- To see a full list of all the apps you have installed on your laptop (along with detailed information about each one), copy and paste the following command: Get-AppxPackage-AllUsers | Select Name, PackageFullName
- It might take some time to generate the list. After the list loads, find WinRAR.
- Then copy everything next to the PackageFullName line.
- Use the command: Remove-AppxPackage-package PackageFullName to uninstall WinRAR by replacing “PackageFullName” with everything next to the PackageFullName line you copied and click Enter.
- Restart your laptop and WinRAR should be completely removed from your laptop.
Method 5: Reinstalling WinRAR Archiver and Using Anti-Virus to Uninstall WinRAR
One reason you’re having a hard time uninstalling WinRAR is because the of the corruption or absence of the file required to uninstall WinRAR archiver. In this case, you’ll want to reinstall the WinRAR archiver from the latest stable version of WinRAR to uninstall the WinRAR program by running the installer from the original disk or downloading the file to reinstall the WinRAR program.
NOTE: Again, sometimes the reason why you can’t get rid of WinRAR or other unwanted programs may be because of corrupt or missing files. A tool like Restoro Repair can scan your PC’s repositories and replace corrupt and missing files so that you can remove the unwanted program or app.
Similarly, malware can appear like a typical Windows application in your laptop. Some malware get into your PC with the help of Trojans and spyware. Adware is installed when it’s bundled with freeware like games or PDF convertors, easily bypassing your favorite anti-virus product. If you can’t remove WinRAR, it might be because of malware. Try using a malware detection tool for a free scan.