While a Chromebook can pretty well maintain itself without much input from you. There are many good reasons why you may want to check what version of Chrome OS you have. For one, like Windows, Google is consistently updating things to make the user experience more intuitive. Here are the steps to check and update your version of the Chrome OS. Plus, we’ve also thrown in some extra steps to change the channel you’re on. And provided some benefits about the Chrome operating system.
- Go to the lower right corner of your screen and click on the system tray clock.
- Select “Settings,” which is the gear icon from the drop-down list.
- At the bottom of the list on left-hand, press the “About Chrome OS” button.
- Your version number will be shown right beneath the Google Chrome OS title at the top of the window.
- On the right of that number you’ll need to click the checkbox which will scan for new updates. Install any updates that have recently been downloaded but haven’t yet been installed.
- To find out the channel you’re on, go to the “Additional Details” icon.
- If you’d like to test the Beta or Developer channels, select the “Change channel” button.
- The “Detailed build information” option on the main page will show you the Chrome OS version details.
- On the main page, you can report an issue or learn what’s new in your current OS version. Also, you can check Google’s help pages and FAQs for additional information.
Chrome OS Best Features
Chrome OS devices have a bunch of amazing features. Among them are:
- A high-speed boot-up time to turn on your device as quickly as a television.
- You can run many tabs of different web applications on Chrome OS. And all user data is encrypted and stored in a cloud that is limited to the preferences of the users. As a result, if one app has a vulnerability, it won’t affect another.
- Chrome OS prioritizes HTML5 (new protocols) and native support for rich media.
- The application menu (the permanent tab) will introduce new Web applications. Users will be able to discover new apps more easily.
- And developers can create apps for the Chrome OS.